Veterans Care Options
If you are a veteran who has served at least 90 days on active duty, with at least one day of service during a period of war, or are the surviving spouse of such a veteran, and find yourself in need of assistance with daily activities due to your disabilities, you may be eligible for the VA’s care programs. LifeCare serves patients in Northbrook, Highland Park, Lake Forest, Deerfield, and all of Lake and Cook Counties.
Veterans Administration & Long-term Care
All enrolled veterans are eligible for the following long term care services:
- Geriatric evaluation – provides either and impatient or outpatient evaluation of a veterans ability to care for in or herself.
- Adult day health care – a therapeutic day care program that provides medical and rehabilitation services to veterans.
- Respite care – provides either inpatient or outpatient supportive care for veterans to allow caregivers to get a break.
- Home care nursing – This includes all services provided in the veteran’s home.
- Hospice care – provides services for terminally ill veterans and their families.
General Guidelines for VA Benefits
- Veterans must have 90 days of active service with at least one day of service during a defined period of war.
- To receive a benefit as a surviving spouse, you must still have been married to the veteran when they passed away.
- A completed physician’s evaluation must state that you are in need of an aid or attendant on a daily basis.
- You must have less than $80,000 in liquid assets if married and less than $50,000 if single (not including your home or vehicles). This number may actually be lower depending on life expectancy. IRAs and CDs are included as income.
- You must have received an honorable or general discharge.
You may receive a benefit to pay for care at home, an assisted living facility, or a nursing home. Care can be provided by family, friends, or professionals.
Is nursing and rehabilitation care covered?
Yes. LifeCare participates in the VA contract program under which skilled home care services are covered, meaning you can receive rehabilitation care in the comfort of your home.
Is non-medical care and assistance covered?
Yes. LifeCare helps veterans or their surviving spouses who qualify for a special Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefit called Aid & Attendance to stay in their own homes and receive assistance with activities of daily living. We assist in the application process, including helping the veteran assemble and file all necessary paperwork. We also provide home care workers and schedule oversee care.
This little-known Department of Veterans Affairs pension is for veterans with an honorable discharge who have served at least 90 days on active duty, with at least one day of service during a period of war, as well as their spouses. To qualify for this particular benefit, the disabilities must not be service related. There are also financial limitations on the pension.
Ready to find out more?
View our services
Let's Get Started!
Get immediate help with info
My grandmother has been with LifeCare Home Health Services for over 7 years now and has received services ranging from nursing, to physical therapy, and health aid. Staff are incredibly professional, while providing the best kind of home health care. My grandmother has been able to live a happy life at home due to this terrific company. I highly recommend LifeCare Home Health & In-Home Services.
We have referred patients for devices and the reviews have been amazing. Professional cautious service. Always timely and gentle. Patients are very comfortable with the staff and feel safe and anxious to see the CNA.
LifeCare's nursing staff was caring, compassionate and professional! Our caregiver was wonderful. Her kind heartedness and gentle spirit blended with her strong work ethic made for a perfect fit. Well done Lifecare.
My parents have in home nurse and physical therapy services.
LifeCare staff are caring , professional and responsible.
At LifeCare we hire only passionate people. We screen and properly train them. Our caregivers are individually matched to the client. Our skilled professionals are continuously being updated on latest developments in medical care.